Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Breaking my sugar addiction

This is tough. I remember the first time I cut out sugar from my diet. On day 3 I was reeling with cravings for that sweet sweet white gold. I eventually got past my cravings and when I had sugar again, I savored it and got a literal high. But eventually I worked sugar back into what I was eating and it didn't effect me as much.

A few months ago, probably spring time, I cut out sugar once more in an effort to loose some weight. I remember the exact moment I fell off the wagon that time. I had gone to Bismarck for work and there was a going away party for an employee. The sister of one of my coworkers had made a cake. This woman makes the most awesomely decorated and delicious cakes, so I wasn't going to skip it. One bite and I knew I was in trouble. Later that day I was high! High on sugar! I got such a rush. I guess it is kind of like drinking, when you are sober for a long time then take a drink you get drunk a lot quicker, your tolerance is low. My sugar tolerance was low and that piece of cake sent me over the edge. My Phase 1 efforts ended that day and I gained back the weight I had lost in the previous months.

Now I am getting back on track with what I should be eating and I'm starting with Phase 1. The South Beach Diet was the first diet plan I ever followed. I did it for the first time in 2005 when I was in grad school and facing the 200 number on the scale. It worked really well for me and it helped me learn what I should be eating. It really gave me a positive overhaul of my diet and a new way of thinking about cooking. So now I face the 206 number on the scale and have set a goal of getting that down to a more reasonable number. I'm not exactly sure what that is yet, but I know 206 is too much. I really just want my jeans to fit better and not feel like I am squeezing into them every time I put them on.

January 5, 2015
Hard boiled egg, 2 piece turkey bacon, 5 slices of cheese from brick (about 1 ounce)
6 grapefruit wedges (you are not supposed to eat any fruit on Phase 1 but I am allowing myself grapefruit because I love it and it isn't too bad as far as sugar content, and we bought a ton of it and need to eat it up)
2 cup decaf coffee (Santa's White Christmas)
2 cup tea
pepperoni (5 round slices)
Almonds and pecans
cheese stick
Circle cheese
Pickle
couple of pieces of potato from leftover pot roast
2 bites pork salad
Left over stir fry
Pistachios
cheese stick
pork salad
small piece of pita with humus
Celery with peanut butter and humus
carrots
cheese
Dinner - Salmon with green bean, edamame, lima beans, soy sauce sesame oil combo.
2 sugar free ice cream treats
Grapefruit
3 piece mozzarella cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment