Wednesday, August 12, 2015

What is wrong with this picture?

I heard on NPR the other day a story about a woman (Bela Gil) in Brazil who is working to promote healthy, whole, unprocessed food. She posted a photo of the healthy snack she packed for her daughter and was ridiculed and attacked for it. Apparently in Brazil eating processed food is a status symbol. And not shocking that people in that country are getting fatter. Sound familiar America?

I can't believe that people would be so callous as to think that putting sweet potato slices, homemade granola and plantains all natural, no sugar in a kid's lunch would be a terrible thing. But maybe that is what people would think of me too. I have battled my son's school about the sugary snacks they feed them and it is a loosing battle. I am battling state regulations they follow that say they can have 2 sugary snacks a week. So that means pop tarts, toaster strudel and the occasional banana. I have been packing his lunch as well. He is getting vegetables, yogurt with fruit, avocado and hummus sandwiches, whole wheat crackers, cheese. All low/no added sugar stuff. I'd like to pack him nuts sometimes but his preschool is nut free.

I am with you Bela Gil! Even though I can't read your blog because it is in Portuguese, I know you are doing good things to help improve eating habits of Brazil.

Monday, August 10, 2015
McDonalds breakfast - I know, with how I started this post, this is an awful thing to start my day with right? But I had to go to Bismarck this morning for work and I needed to grab a quick breakfast. Egg McMuffin, hash browns, DC coffee with cream and Splenda
Cheese stick
Starbucks DC Americano with light cream, 1/2 shot of caramel syrup (not sugar free)
Ate at "The Walrus" in Bismarck! Delicious! - Roast beef sandwich with horseradish sauce, peppers, onions, and cheese. Hungarian mushroom soup.
Wendy's small chocolate frosty
Wendy's fries
Pesto past with chicken


No comments:

Post a Comment