Friday, February 13, 2015

I hate Valentine's day

I really do, I hate it. I cringe when I go into the store and see all the hearts and stuffed animals proclaiming some sort of forever love sentiment. I may be a bit of a cynic about love. Maybe cynic isn't the right word, but I don't think it should just be thrown around and given out to just anyone. Don't get me wrong, I love love. But Valentine's day and all the crap that comes with it just seems to demean  its importance. Plus it is another reason to hock candy and crap! (read sugar that I don't need to be tempted with right now)

There is one sentiment of love that I have always gotten on Valentine's day, my Dad always sends me flowers and I love that. He has been a constant positive male presence in my life and this declaration of his love has always given me comfort where ever I am.

Maybe some of my hatred for this day (I don't dare call it a "Holiday") is that I always had expectations of some crush or some person coming to me and professing a sentiment of love. This day for me represents a build up of never realized expectations. Expectations of someone else to come to me and say, hey you're cute, let's go on a date. And that is why I despise it. I never got mystery gifts from a secret admirer or ever had a special date.

There was one Valentine's day that I remember in college that was a good one. A good guy friend of mine (nothing romantic between us) came over unexpected and took me to a movie, The Wedding Singer with Adam Sandler. It was really nice of him and it made my day. Maybe he just knew I needed something like that. I don't know if he thought it meant that much, but it did.

So now I have to navigate around the Valentine candy and the aftermath when it all goes on sale.

Day 6, February 14, 2015
2 pieces turkey bacon
HB egg
Cheese 
DC coffee 
2 cup tea
Out to lunch with friends for Mexican so I'm not sure exactly if there was added sugar in my food but I did my best to avoid it.
Fajita, chicken (I only ate one tortilla), rice, refried beans, sour cream, guacamole, chips and salsa
I made a fruit salad because we are going to a friends house for dinner so I ate a bunch of fruit 
Grapefruit, strawberry, Apple 
Pork tenderloin in orange sauce
Potatoes 
Fennel 
2 pieces bread with butter 
Chocolate moose cake
Fruit salad with cream cheese compote 

Ok, I may have just failed my 10 day challenge. I had cake at our friend's house. Tomorrow is another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment