Wednesday, November 12, 2014

I always wondered, what's the deal with soda?

You know all those research studies people quote that says drinking soda leads to obesity? What does that really mean? They usually simply say "soda". Not diet soda, or carbonated water, low sugar soda, or soda with alcohol (heehee, I know that's wrong). It is simply "soda". And I always question what other characteristics a "regular soda drinker" has that contributes to obesity.

I love Diet Coke! I used to drink more of it than I do now. But I still really enjoy it when I have it. I always thought I was exempt from those studies because I was drinking a "diet" soda (you know, no calories and all). But I do know (NOW) that artificial sweeteners are not good for you either. Growing up we always had diet soda and regular soda in the house. My favorite was diet cherry 7up. Oh I can taste it now, that stuff is great. I don't really see it around any more. My brother was a Dr. Pepper fan. Plus we drank Kool-Aid all the time (the full sugar stuff). So what ever damage aspartame has done to me, I'm sure I'm going to be feeling it in my late 30s.

As for now, I have cut out artificial sweeteners. That is except for the occasional Diet Coke and I do like hot chocolate and usually buy the sugar free stuff to cut on calories. I have Stevia in my cupboard but I cut that out too because I'm not sure how good or bad that is for you. I am now drinking my coffee without sweetener, which was an easier transition than I thought.  

No weight today.

November 12, 2014
Breakfast: Oatmeal with honey, ground flax seed, and soy milk
Cinnamon bread with butter
Decaf coffee
2 cup tea
Hard boiled egg
2 piece turkey bacon
3 olives stuffed with blue cheese
Pea pods (I have these sitting on my desk and munching on them, they are a smart snack choice, right?)
2 wild pheasant fingers
2 sweet potato chips
Grapes
Decaf Americano with half and half 
Goldfish crackers
2 pretzel rods
Pea pods
Stuffed peppers - couscous, onion, canillini beans, in slow cooker
Glass red wine

No comments:

Post a Comment