Tuesday, November 11, 2014

5 second rule

You know the 5 second rule, right? And those Mythbusters and College students who said anything that drops on the floor picks up bacteria and can make you sick. Well, I often wonder how truthful the implications of that are. When you drop something it only picks up some bacteria. In those experiments the people grow the bacteria that is picked up in controlled environments in Petri dishes to expose what is there. Sure there are lots of little nasties that multiply under those conditions. But it only started out as one or two spores or one lonesome bacteria cell.

So my question is, is the actual amount of bacteria that the food does pick up enough to make you sick? I mean, when the food hits your stomach, your stomach acids go to work on it and isn't that their job, to kill bad stuff that could make you sick? If you eat the food right away, wouldn't the bacteria load on the food be manageable for your body to combat?

I bring this up because I am constantly picking stuff up off the floor that my kids drop. I don't usually feed them the food, unless it is a fruit snack or something that doesn't pick up too much dog hair. But they constantly drop sippy cups and utensils that I usually just wipe off and give back to them. Then I think, would I have done that for myself? Or would I have gotten a new fork?

No weight today.
November 11, 2014
Breakfast: Oatmeal  with ground flax seed, honey, soy milk
Left over cereal that my kid didn't eat (with whole milk, eeeeeeeek!)
2 piece turkey bacon
Hard boiled egg
Decaf coffee
2 cup tea
Refried black beans
Spinach and radicchio salad with mini peppers, pea pods, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and salt
M&Ms
Chocolate chip cookie
2 pretzel rods
Goldfish crackers
Pea pods 
Dinner: Salmon cooked in pan with seasoning 
Roasted cauliflower with olive oil and spices
M&Ms

No comments:

Post a Comment